Underground Mining. Typically occurs at depths below 300 ft. Accounts for 60% of world coal production . Surface mining. 4 Main Types of Surface Mining. Strip Mining. Removal of large strips of overlying rock and soil to reveal coal. ... PowerPoint Presentation Last modified by:

Digital Mining Photograph Archive The MSHA Digital Library photograph collection includes over 1,000 historical mining photographs from the original Bureau of Mines collection. These photographs cover a wide range of topics connected to mining, including underground, community, mine rescue, and historical scenes.

In any discussion of Methods of Underground Mining Comparison, one is repeatedly confronted with the difficulty of dealing with so many variable conditions. It is not an exact science and in the choice of a method each varying factor has a certain weight, which, in many cases, experience alone can determine.

Jan 25, 2019· Fire, flood, collapse, toxic atmospheric contaminants, and dust or gas explosion are the most critical hazards specifically linked to underground mining. Blasting related hazards must also be added to that list. Although not specific to underground operations, their consequences may be exacerbated by the confined atmosphere and the workplace ...

The choice of an underground mining method depends on a range of factors and these include; the size and shape of the deposit, the orientation or slope of the deposit, the depth of the deposit, geological structures, characteristics of the ore and the surrounding rocks and issues with gas and water. In combination, these factors allow us to determine an appropriate arrangement and sequence for ...

Underground Coal Mine Supervisor Training May 18, 2006 Presented by: MSHA Design Team George Mason Immersion 2005-2006 The MSHA Team Jennifer Cochran Hong Li Shawn ... – A free PowerPoint PPT presentation (displayed as a Flash slide show) on PowerShow.com - id: 3cd384-Mjg3N

Prevention of fires in underground mines guideline. 1. 1 Introduction. Fire is a serious hazard in mines and outbreaks of fire underground can be particularly dangerous due to the: • confined nature of excavations • potential quantity of smoke and noxious fumes • restricted ability to …

Browse our new and improved Mine Safety Training Repository Section to find more than 1,800 categorically organized PowerPoint Presentations, and more than 2,000 Video and Adobe PDF files that you can use in your training programs. Those wishing to add games to …

Underground mining operations around the world pose similar risks to worker safety and health. Though different techniques are used to extract base metals, precious metals, nonmetallic minerals, diamonds and coal, the hazards do not differ that much. The deeper the mine, however, the greater the risk. Safety Challenges in Underground Mines

Underground Ventilation (Metalliferrous Mines) On the same principle, care must be taken that no unprotected fire hazards are created by installations in or near primary intake airways underground. Workshops in intake areas should have sprinkler type fire protection. An important aspect of primary ventilation is the need to minimise the presence of

air contaminants, fire, flooding, and explosion. The regulation does not apply to excavation and trenching operations for above ground structures that are not physically connected to an underground con-struction operation or to underground electrical transmission and distribution lines. OSHA has developed the following definitions for construction

INTRODUCTION TO MINING 1.1 MINING'S CONTRIBUTION TO CIVILIZATION Mining may well have been the second of humankind's earliest endeavors— granted that agriculture was the first. The two industries ranked together as the primary or basic industries of early civilization. Little has changed in the

Committed to Excellence in Mining Safety Last Modified: Page: JAN 2015 2 of 46 UNDERGROUND EMERGENCY RESPONSE PLAN MODULE 6 (CONT.) Underground Emergency Response Plan TABLE OF CONTENTS Introduction / Objectives 3 Emergency Communications and Call Out Process 4 Emergencies / Emergency Levels 6 Rapid Response Systems 8

Apr 15, 2015· Underground mining, by its nature, presents a range of health and safety hazards that are different from those in other sectors. Some hazards, such as ground instability, are inherent in the underground environment.

Fire Suppression Systems Fire Protection Best Practices Cards Fire Suppression for Electrical Equipment Fires and Explosions: G Gas Heaters Guarding, Equipment Guide to, (OT 3) Conveyor Guarding PPT: H Hand Tools Bars Hammers Ratchets/"Come-Alongs" Haulage/Mobile Berms » Berm Training Slides » Good Berms Save Lives Video Dump Points

Whether you need to excavate, transport or process ore, rock or overburden more efficiently, our comprehensive range of cutting-edge surface and underground mining equipment is designed to increase your productivity and boost your bottom line.

Fire Protection Underground Piping Fire Pump Water tanks Fire Protection Underground Piping ASCE Meeting 12/17/14 7. Fire Protection Underground Piping •Working Plans (4.1.3) - drawn to an indicated scale on sheets of uniform size, with a plan of each floor as applicable, and include

AN UNDERGROUND COAL MINE FIRE PREPAREDNESS AND RESPONSE CHECKLIST: THE INSTRUMENT By Ronald S. Conti,1 Linda L. Chasko,2 Charles P. Lazzara, Ph.D.3 and Gary Braselton4 ABSTRACT Preparedness is an important element of any underground mine's strategic plan in dealing with an unexpected event, such as a fire.

Dec 07, 2009· Massive Underground Coal Fire Started in 1962 Still Burns Today You may have already heard the story of Centralia, PA, a coal mining town that had Related Content on Treehugger.com

On Tuesday, October 7, 2014, a 31-year-old utility worker, with 13 years of mining experience, was killed after he crawled 37 feet into an entry mined with a highwall mining machine to retrieve a broken cutter-head-chain from the mining machine. A rock, 8 feet wide, 6 feet long, and 16 inches thick fell on him.

A coal-seam fire is a natural burning of an outcrop or underground coal seam. Most coal-seam fires exhibit smoldering combustion, particularly underground coal-seam fires, because of limited atmospheric oxygen availability. Coal-seam fire instances on Earth date back several million years.

Fire Prevention in Underground Mining – Requirements for Equipment in Germany and Europe Christoph Möller, M.Sc. DMT – Test Body for Fire Protection

The World's Oldest Underground Fire Has Been Burning For 6,000 Years. ... have the most serious underground fire problems. The burning coal releases potentially toxic elements like arsenic ...

The PowerPoint PPT presentation: "Underground Mining" is the property of its rightful owner. Do you have PowerPoint slides to share? If so, share your PPT …

Fire Control The very process of underground coal mining creates conditions which are conducive to self-oxidation of coal. This self-oxidation in turn may result in heating or even fires under certain conditions. The occurrence of fire, therefore, cannot be totally ruled out in coal mining operations, but its possibility can be minimized and ...

PDF | Improvement of productivity has become an important goal for today's coal industry in the race to increase price competitiveness. The challenge now lying ahead for the coal industry is to ...

FIRE RESPONSE PREPAREDNESS FOR UNDERGROUND MINES By Ronald S. Conti,1 Linda L. Chasko,2 William J. Wiehagen,3 and Charles P. Lazzara, Ph.D.4 ABSTRACT Fire has long been a concern for underground mine workers. A mine fire can occur at any time and can result in a partial or total evacuation of mine personnel and the loss of lives. Fires can grow ...

Minto Mine QML-0001 Underground Mine Development and Operations Plan – June 2014 1 Background This Underground Mine Development and Operations Plan (UMDOP) has been prepared to satisfy the requirements of Quartz Mining icence (QML-00L01) for the development and mining of the underground at Minto Mine, owned by Minto Explorations Ltd.